News & Views
26th November 2020
Introducing the New Dual Trade Apprenticeship
NECA SA/NT, RACCA SA and NECA Careers & Apprenticeships (NCA) are pleased to announce the development and subsequent registration of a dual electrician and refrigeration/air conditioning apprenticeship pathway.
The new Declared Trade will be titled “Electrical Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technician”.
Recently developed in South Australia in conjunction with the state training authority, Training and Skills Commission (TASC) and the Construction Mining and Energy Industry Skills Council, this new apprenticeship will see the training of electrical and refrigeration and air conditioning (RAC) delivered concurrently, which will result in a multi skilled technician able to perform the full scope of work of both disciplines.
The qualification has been in the works for almost a decade and is intended to better align the apprentices learning and skills development with the on-job experience. The dual trade pathway, which is not widely used in Australia and with a unique delivery model, would address demand for broader skills sets in the industry providing greater efficiencies and productivity for industry.
To develop the program, RAC and Electrical subject matter experts from both private and government South Australian RTOs mapped out the units from both qualifications, identifying those that overlapped, and then organised others into a single program, which runs for a nominal 1,540 hours, compared to the usual 1,060 hours for a single-trade qualification.
Here’s what you need to know about the new Dual Trade Apprenticeship:
- The Apprentice will complete a Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30811)
- The Apprentice will complete a Certificate III in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (UEE32211)
- These qualifications will run concurrently with the training delivery organised into a single program
- The completion of the Apprenticeship will result in the Electrical Refrigeration Air Conditioning Technician being fully licensed in both trades.
- The apprenticeship will run for five years
- A pilot program will be rolled out in 2021
- All new apprentices will be recruited and employed by NECA Careers and Apprenticeships (NCA) and hosted out to various electrical and refrigeration companies across the five years
- A single profiling database will be created specifically for this new apprenticeship
- NCA are now searching for host employers and apprentices for the pilot program.
Host Employers Required
NECA Careers & Apprenticeships (NCA) are now on the search for host employers who can take on these apprentices for their on-the-job training. Over the 5-year apprenticeship the apprentices will be placed with both electrical and refrigeration/air conditioning contractors, or ideally with those contractors who undertake both areas of work in order to meet all the competencies of their training.
To meet the requirements of the pilot program, NECA SA/NT is submitting a Skilling SA application to obtain funding. As part of this application, NECA and NCA require letters of support from potential host employers who wish to be part of this program and host a dual trade apprentice.
If you would like further information about this new apprenticeship or would like to become a host employer, please contact the NECA Careers & Apprenticeships (NCA) office on (08) 8272 0799 or email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download our Dual Trade brochure >