Safety Messages on the Dangers of Working Live | NECA

News & Views

21st April 2016

Safety Messages on the Dangers of Working Live

Man Electrocuted While Working inside a Roof on a Gold Coast Home

A man has tragically passed away after he was electrocuted while working in the roof cavity of a Gold Coast home.

The 67-year-old man had been doing maintenance work in the roof cavity at the Robina house owned by his family members.

He had offered to install a power point for the home owners, and cut a wire without realising the wire was live, causing the electrocution. Read the full article here.

NECA SA would like to pass on their sincere condolences to the family and friends of this man.


SafeWork SA Hazard Alert:  Electrical ‘sub-boards’

SafeWork SA has issued a Hazard Alert after an incident where a worker received an electric shock and suffered burnt fingers when he came in contact with exposed live busbars in a ‘sub-board’ (distribution board or switchboard). View the hazard alert here.


Low-Voltage Arc Flash during Switching Operation

The Department of Natural Resources and Mines issued a Significant Incident Report after an electrician received second degree burns to his hand when a 4000Amp switch exploded during switching operations. View the incident report here.


Message from NECA

These three stories are examples of the simple and ordinary things in our daily lives that catch us out if we choose to work live. NECA reinforces that all power supplies must be switched off and checked before commencing any work. 

NECA’s safety message is: don’t cut corners - because if you do you will end up going around in circles... ever diminishing circles!


Further Information and Assistance

Contact Rory Sweeney, WHSEQ Manager at NECA SA, on (08) 8272 2966 or email Rory.