COVID Update for NECA Members
Latest Updates and Information
We urge members to monitor the following official sources for the latest information, and health advice. All members should follow these guidelines:
The Prime Minister today announced further measures as part of its response to manage the crisis. Key measures currently include:
- anyone returning from overseas travel must self-isolate for 14 days.
- an indefinite level-four travel ban is in place for the entire world. The travel advice for all Australians wanting to go overseas is "Do Not Travel".
- there is a ban on non-essential indoor gatherings of 100 people or more. Australians are still advised to stay away from non-essential outdoor gatherings of 500 or more. These do not yet apply to workplaces.
- Schools will stay open. This is part of the Government’s strategy to manage the spread of the virus and ensure people, particularly frontline health workers, can continue working.
We anticipate there will be further measures introduced in the coming days.
Government Support for Your Business
Last week the Federal Government announced a stimulus package to support business. NECA members are likely to be eligible for some of the support. You can see more here.
Yesterday, the NSW Government announced its own stimulus package. Measures include:
- $450 million for the waiver of payroll tax for businesses with payrolls of up to $10 million for three months (the rest of 2019-20).
- More than $250 million to bring forward maintenance on public assets including social housing and crown land fencing.
- $500 million to bring forward capital works and maintenance.
Please read the details in full here.
NECA is currently working with Governments to understand how members can access this support. We will update you as soon as we can.
NECA Helping You Access Government Support
NECA has redeployed seven employees who will be proactively calling members to help them access Government support. We will be starting with our smallest members who are likely to be facing the biggest immediate challenges, so please be patient and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Relevant Employment Legislation
The Fair Work Ombudsman has published FAQs to provide guidance to employers on various issues relating to COVID-19. They can be seen here.
We know members will do all they can to support employees in these challenging times. It is important you are familiar with legislated requirements as this situation rapidly evolves.
NECA colleagues are on hand to support with any further enquiries members may have.